Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

9/11 in a whole new way.

Our trip to New York was more than just a fun-filled experience. On the day we decided we were going to visit the 9-11 memorial I told Justin that I was very nervous because I knew that my emotions were going to be very high.
When we got in line with hundreds of people that were waiting to see this site, I started to really step back and take it all in. This was where thousands of people died. Those planes crashed into those building right here. Right where I stood. I started to get angry at the people taking pictures of themselves or with a loved one and they were smiling. How could they smile at a place like this? Do they not know what happened here?
It wasn't until I saw the names written in stone where a flood of emotions flew over me. These weren't names of famous people. These were names of ordinary people who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. They woke up in the morning, kissed their wives/husbands goodbye, drank a cup of coffee on the run, sprinted to their flight, or were on their way to or from a business trip and had no idea that what they just did would be their last. These were the names of daughters, husbands, wives, sons, grandchildren, uncles, cousins, moms and dads.
I ran my hands across the names. I wanted them to know how sorry I was. I prayed for them. I prayed for their families. I saw the name of the mom and her unborn child. My heart sank. This child didn't have the chance to come in to this world. He/she could've been a scientist, the next Michael Jordan, an entrepreneur but they did not have the chance. Someone took it away from them.
Justin and I prayed over the names and for their families together. It was an experience unlike any other. We stood where history was made. We stood where tragedy struck. And we are changed forever.







1 comment:

  1. Oh Daughter. Exactly. <3 So proud of you...both.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I am so glad you are here!