Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Thankful Thanksgiving.

We celebrated Thanksgiving a few days early this year. But this did not change the reasoning or the eating behind it. There was so much food it was incredible. We had enough food to feed 50 people, and there was 13 of us. Our ratio of desserts to actual food was definitely 3:1 (the way it should be) and everyone left with no room to spare in their bellies.
We had pumpkin pie, pumpkin dip, pumpkin tarts, pumpkin rolls, pumpkin bars, pumpkin cookies (see a theme here), stuffing, sweet potato mash with marshmallows, homemade ice cream, pilgrim cookies, a delicious turkey and much much more. Seriously, we were pulling food out of boxes and fridges and freezers all night.
When our bellies were full, the food halfway demolished, Justin and I had to make our way back to Abu Dhabi for a full work week. We had parent-teacher conferences Sunday and Monday which made our work day from 7:30-7:00. Then we have "Professional Development" from 7:30-4 on Saturday. It's going to be a loooong week.
What comes with Thanksgiving surely gets you thinking a lot about the things you are most thankful for. So onto this page I will write from my heart:
1. My husband. Holy guacamole I have THE best man on planet Earth to call mine. He is the most supportive, loving, and genuine man I have ever met and I thank God for making him the way He did. I will never stop loving you Jus.
2. My family. Wowzers. Getting married means adding a whole new family to yours. So even though I have "two" families, I consider ourselves one big one. I don't get to see my family very often, maybe 2 weeks out of the year if you added up all the time and they still support me. They still pray for me. They still love me. No matter the distance they are always there when I need them and even when I don't.
3. My mom. I miss my mom so much. I miss watching her in the kitchen, putting on events, driving my friends around, forking people's yards with us, staying up into the wee hours of the night so my friends could stay over because of my curfew. There are so many things you did for me growing up that I am so thankful for now. You are going to make one heck of a Grandma some day.
4. Papa Lou. I love you. You are a sweet, salty, cinnamon pretzel. My favorite. I cherish those hunting trips we used to go on and sing worship songs. I cherish those trips to 7-11 to get slurpees on the way to the dump. I cherish those movie nights we have at the house. I cherish all the Duck games you took me to growing up. I remember when we used to watch Monday night football and I would ask you which team you were rooting for because I wanted to root for the same one. I wanted to be just like you. Your heart is pure, genuine, and stitched personally by God himself. I love you.
5. Brofy. I miss the times we used to rampage each other's bedrooms with silly string and balloons. I miss our free throw competitions out of the street with our portable basketball hoop. I miss cheering for you in the stands and painting your number on my shirt. You are strong, loved, and wonderful. You are such a good big brother and I am so proud of who you are becoming. God has such big plans for you and I am so glad to be a part of them. Love you!
6. MIL and SIL. We are the three musketeers. The shop til you droppers. The lovers of cookies and milk. The second hand store junkies. Nothing will ever come between our bond we have made. When I said "I do" I knew that I we would be in each other's lives forever and there is no way which I am sad about it. I can't wait for all the memories we have in store and I will always cherish the ones we have made already. Love you both.
7. Brother and Papa Scott. Scottie, I was scared of you since the first day I met you. I'm sure I was so awkward with my dorky laugh and big sunglasses, but you loved me anyway. You welcomed me in with your amazing bear hugs and the comfort of your stern voice. The respect I have for you is well earned, for you are a husband and father I am so glad Justin saw growing up. Brother! I love you to pieces. You are so kind at heart and we have such fun together. Your stylish nature will not keep you single for long my friend! :) You have always been there for me and always been such a good friend to me.
8. BFF. Not many friends can say they have been besties for 18 years, but I am so glad we can. You are the most beautiful woman I have ever come to know and I am so blessed to call you my soul mate (shhhh don't tell J) No matter the miles or how ever many times we talk or don't talk, we pick up right where we left off. I can be my complete self around you and know that you are a phone call away no matter what the time. Thank you for being my friend and supporting me through the hard times and praising me in the easy times. You are everything a bff should be and I love you so much for it.
9. My job. I have now climbed over the first year teacher wall, thank the Lord. I hated that title. Now that I am much for seasoned (ha) I love looking back to see the difference just one single year has made. Granted, I love my kids to death this year, but I know that kids will only give respect to someone who deserves it. I love being a teacher. Yes it is stressful. Yes I think about everything I have to do before I go to sleep at night. Yes I get crazy and have meltdowns. But most of all, yes, I enjoy teaching and molding the minds of young human beings. Kids are awesome.
10. I am thankful for the amazing friends that have become family here in the UAE. They share their hearts, lives, and home with us every week and weekend and I am so blessed to have such great people in our lives. It has seriously made living abroad so much easier. As time goes on our relationships gets stronger and I get more and more thankful for them as time goes on. We seriously love you all.
11. I am thankful that God is the same everywhere in the world. He is here, there, everywhere. He is always present. He is here in Abu Dhabi and He is home in Oregon. He is wonderful. He is loving. He is my ever-present help. He is my provider. He is everything I have ever needed and ever will need. I am so thankful for the God I serve.
12. I am thankful for this blog. I am thankful I can write down my thoughts, laughs, smiles, heartaches and I am not judged by my readers. I am thankful that YOU are here reading my words. I hope you are inspired, touched, get some laughs, whatever you need, I hope God uses me to touch your life somehow even if in the smallest inkling.

I could seriously go on for hours, but I am sure you are tired of reading :) I have so much to be thankful for!! God is so good!!

God bless!

What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I am so glad you are here!