Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2019

My birth story.

Saturday, September 28th is the day our lives were changed forever. The day that seemed would never come, finally did. It was time for Krew and Rylee to enter the world.
I didn't sleep a wink the night before, plus I needed to get up to pee 39 times. I can't explain to you the emotions that were going through my head as the hours and minutes were getting closer to us to meet our son and daughter for the first time. Being induced is the weirdest thing. You see, I am a planner. I like to have a plan for everything, and know what is going to come next. So, naturally, you would think I would love the idea of being induced. And I was, in the beginning. I loved the idea to be able to have the room setup the way I wanted, to have my diffuser of calming oils going, worship music playing, and knowing exactly the plan of action that was about to take place. But as the days came and went, and the babies weren't here yet, and the more pain I was in, I no longer liked the idea of having to wait. I wanted them out as soon as possible. In a good way :) I now wanted to go into labor naturally (I secretly wanted my water to break somewhere cool like Target, knowing full well how mortified I would be) and didn't care about the "plan" I had in my head.
But, my induction date was here. They did not want to come out any earlier than September 28th. We checked into the hospital at 6 am and by 7 am I was in my hospital gown with my IV in, and petocin started to flow. My doctor came in (stinkin' love her), checked me, I was at a 3 already, and told me she would be back at 11 am to break my water. Krew had been super low for a couple weeks now, and my doctor thought that because he was basically on his way out already, once she broke my water, things would move very quickly. Now let me tell you, because Krew was so low and was putting so much pressure on my cervix, it hurt. A LOT. Once she left, I couldn't believe how fast time seemed to go. 11 am came and she walked in and asked about the epidural. I had read a lot of articles (go figure) about twin births, and also from talking with my doctor, and knowing full well having twins is a completely different scenario, I knew I wanted an epidural once the pain became too much. They usually encourage it because a lot of twin births will end with a c-section and I would already be hooked up making things a bit easier and able to move more quickly in the OR. All twins births must happen in the OR because of this. Because twins are always considered "high risk", even if you have a healthy pregnancy as we did, you will always deliver them in the OR in case something goes wrong and they need to do an emergency c-section. I didn't like this, but I knew I had no say. I told my doctor I would wait until after she broke my water for the epidural. It was the weirdest feeling in the world when she broke my water. Legit felt like I could fill up a kids pool with the amount of fluid that came out! And it kept coming. I kept apologizing to the nurses and telling them, "oh my gosh it keeps coming out!". They assured me it was very normal, and it was part of their job to take care of that stuff. God bless labor and delivery nurses. Ok all nurses. My doctor asked me when I would like to have the anesthesiologist come in, and I kept saying, "I don't know, you tell me!". She said how about an hour, and I agreed. Once he came in (on his birthday!), everyone else except Justin had to clear the room. At this point the whole clan was there, and they headed to the waiting room.
We got all setup for the epidural and he talked me through the whole process. He told me I had to be very still, and to round my back so he can fit the needle in the right spot. It definitely didn't feel pleasant, but was over pretty quickly. I started to feel my legs and butt go numb, so we thought everything was working. About 15 minutes later, I started to feel increasing pain in my contractions. I asked my nurse if this was normal and she said it could take about 15-20 minutes for it to completely kick in. I started to watch the monitor and keep a close eye on my contractions, and I told Justin that the pain was getting worse, not better. They tried a few other things to see if it would help, but an hour and a half of labor pains later, they called him back in to do another epidural, and we went through the whole process all over again. This time it worked.
The day went on, and still no babies. The nurses and my doctor checked me a few more times, but by 6:00 pm I was still only to a 7 1/2. My doctor told me they would like to insert a wand thing that  would be able to detect how intense the contractions were, since mine were frequent enough that it didn't make sense as to why I hadn't fully dilated yet. Once they were able to monitor my contractions, she was able to come to the conclusion that the intensity of my contractions were not very strong anymore. About 7:00 she came in the room and began to talk to us about our next steps. She explained that my uterus had been working too hard for too long and that was the reason my contractions were not as intense as they should be. She said that our situation was not an emergency situation and we could take our time deciding on what to do next. I asked her honest thoughts and she said in her opinion, I could probably get to a 10 with time, but the intensity of my contractions wouldn't allow me to push, and I would end up going through all of that for nothing and end up with a c-section. So basically my options were to have a c-section now, or to wait and get to a 10, try to push, most likely not be able to, and have a c-section. As soon as she left the room, the weight of it all just hit me. I felt in that moment, my body gave up. I could actually feel my body be discouraged. Here I carried these babies for 38 weeks, had a perfectly healthy pregnancy, they were both head down, Krew was so low they could feel his head and he was ready to come out- I couldn't believe this was going to end with a c-section. Justin and I were left in the room alone and we shared some words, hugs, tears, and decided that it would be no use to put my body through anymore that it already had, and we told my doctor we would go ahead with the c-section.
As soon as those words came out of my mouth, everything was a blur. It was about 7:30 by now and the nurse came in and they started to prep me for surgery, and she assured me she would be with me the whole time. Not going to lie, I was very nervous about this whole process, but my Mom and Mother in-law prayed over me before I went back for surgery, and that did give me some peace. Within minutes I was brought into the OR and right away I started to feel nauseous. I told the nurse I needed the puke bag and I immediately started puking. The anesthesiologist (I felt) was trying to rush me onto the table, and I kept telling him that I needed to puke, so they literally moved me as I was puking. From this part onward, I've had to have many people explain what happened to me, because with all the pain meds, my recollection is very hazy.
I remember telling Justin that I could feel them cutting me open. He immediately told the nurse and the anesthesiologist asked me if I could feel pain, or I could feel pressure. I swore I could feel the side of my incision, like it didn't get numbed all the way, and he told me, "don't worry you will see your babies in 5 minutes", as to try to get my mind off of it. I really had no choice. Everything happened so fast, and before we knew it, we heard Krew's little cry and they had Justin bring him over to me. Because I had so much pain medication in me, I could barely open my eyes to see him. I was drifting in and out of sleep, trying desperately to see my son for the first time. They took him from Justin and then it was Rylee's turn to come out. She took a little bit longer to cry, but she finally did, and all was right in the world. My two babies were on the outside now. Justin brought them both over to me, and I forcefully kept my eyes open just long enough to get a few good looks in before I couldn't keep them open any longer. They were the most beautiful things I had ever seen. Both born at 8:20 pm on September 28th. Krew is technically 15 seconds older than his "little" sister :)
Now, my story is not over once the babies were born. Because my uterus had been so overworked for so long, once the babies came out, it "flopped". The uterus normally continues to contract and expels the placenta. After my 2nd placenta was delivered, because my uterus was no longer contracting, which is called uterine atony, it caused me to hemorrhage. I didn't need a transfusion, so that was good, but it was definitely scary to learn about all of this hours after. While this was happening, Justin had to take our babies and go to the recovery room by himself. I remember being woken up on the table to incredible pain as my doctor was pushing on my stomach trying to push all the blood out so it didn't clot. I couldn't move, but the pain was unbearable. Soon, all of it was over, and I found myself back in the recovery room with 2 babies latched on to me and nursing. I was still so out of it, and still very nauseous. I continued to throw up as the medicine weaned itself out of my system. They didn't allow anyone to come back and see us until it had been 2 hours or so, and then they could come back 2 by 2.
The babies were as healthy as could be, they needed no time in the NICU, they were a healthy weight, and we were so incredibly in love with them. We were able to go home the following Tuesday, but I was still in a lot of pain and unable to move very well at all. Once we got home, we got into our new routine pretty quickly and our lives were never going to be the same ever again.
We love you so much Krew and Ry Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I am so glad you are here!